THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

In order to simplify our blogging and to drive more traffic to our website, Dads Inc. has moved this blog and all of our blogging efforts directly to our website. You can now read Dads Ink at http://www.dadsinc.org/dads-ink. We'll see you there!

9.17.2010

Did The Muppet Show & The Dukes of Hazzard Ruin a Generation?

"Just good ole' boys, never meaning no harm.  Beats all you ever saw.  Been in trouble with the law since the day they was born." 

If you were a child of the early 1980s, you instantly recognized that opening line to The Dukes of Hazzard's theme song, sung by the legendary Waylon Jennings.  Chances are that that show was a staple of your weekly television viewing when you were a kid.  Growing up in the South, like I did, it was pretty much mandatory The Dukes was your favorite TV show.  It taught us right from wrong, and that the good guy doesn't always wear the white hat (ie, Boss Hogg).

Another favorite from that same era is The Muppet Show.  Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie and the whole gang created by Jim Henson were the essence of childhood, right?  They're just like baseball, mom & apple pie - part of what makes America so great.

But they also taught us about drinking, shooting at people, fighting, blowing people up and loose women.  This point was brought up to me the other day by someone when I mentioned that I think my boys were at the age to really like watching The Dukes.  The show was on from 1979-1985 - my prime formative years, and I watched religiously every week.  Then as I was watching The Muppet Show on dvd with them the other day, I realized that it was no better than The Dukes.  Don't believe me?  Watch this clip from Season 1 of The Muppet Show:


See!  Drinking, blowing people up and loose women.  How many shots did Sandy Duncan do?!?  Like 8!  And let's remember that Bo & Luke were on probation for running shine.  How many fights did they get into and how many arrows did they shoot with TNT on the end of it?

So did these two pillars of childhood corrupt our generation?  Should I be too concerned about them not to show them to my boys?  I know my answer.  Share yours.

1 comment:

  1. I think, as parents, we should educate our children of what is right and wrong. While I do think there are some movies/TV shows that are not age appropriate for my children (2.5 and 3.5), I do think that sensoring everything they watch is just putting them in a bubble. Not that they are in need of a dose of reality. But, I watched The Dukes of Hazzard and The Muppets (I loved both!) and I don't think seeing the "good guys" do not so good things made me into a ruined generation. I have some of The Muppets shows on DVD and the girls watch them.

    I think this generation is too concerned with everything. We need to sit back, chill a bit and just use our brains to know what we should and shouldn't be concerned with. Definitely not some TV show that we watched when we were little.

    ReplyDelete